Application and Hiring Process
Thank you for your interest in employment
opportunities with the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
This agency has employment opportunities in the
Sworn, Certified and Civilian Capacities.
Prior to hiring, the following requirements must be successfully met:
- Must be 19 years of age or older (18 for Civilian Positions).
- Obtain passing score on all sections of the Test of Adult Basic Education. Test may be waived for current Florida certified applicants and those with a four-year college degree, and civilians with at least 60 college credit hours
- Have a good police record.
- Possess a valid Florida Driver's License and have an acceptable driving record.
- Be a United States Citizen. (Sworn and Certified Positions)
- Not have tried, used or experimented with any type of illegal drugs within the past 2 years (24 months), nor any hard drugs within the past 5 years (60 months).
- Oral Interview
- Polygraph examination
- Urinalysis examination
- Background Investigation and reference checks
- Physical examination and EKG for designated positions
- Physical agility test (detention deputy and deputy sheriff applicants)
- Psychological test (for appropriate positions)
- Acceptable credit history
- If a Veteran, possess an Honorable discharge or uncharacterized.
- Successfully pass a keyboarding test, if typing or data entry work is required for the position for which you are applying.
- Be able to perform the essential functions of the position for which you are applying.
With your completed application you will need to submit the following:
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- High School Diploma, GED or College Transcripts
- If a Veteran, copy of Form DD-214 stating "Honorable" Discharge (member 4 copy) or Uncharacterized.
- Proof of registration as required by Federal Military Service Act (males aged 18-26)
- Copy of Florida Department of Law Enforcement State Certificate and proof of passing State Certification Test (deputy sheriff applicants and detention deputy applicants)
- Name change documents (marriage, adoption, etc.)
- Any other applicable diplomas and/or certificates may be included
- Three (3) completed personal references
For more information regarding application procedures or job opportunities, contact the Human Resources Division directly at 863-298-6440, toll free 1-877-477-7276.
THE POLK COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER M/F/D/V