||January 24, 2000
||"For Immediate Release"
||Sheriff Lawrence W. Crow, Jr.
Sterling Ivey, 863 534-6377 or
Arrested and Charged in String of Burglaries
Polk County Sheriff's Office Robbery Unit detectives arrested 5
individuals and charged them with 4 convenience store robberies and 1 ATM
The following were arrested:
- Tavares Smith, DOB 4/14/79, of 522
Calla Place in Polk City, charged with 5 counts of armed robbery, 5
counts of armed burglary and 1 count armed kidnapping.
- Larry Colston, DOB 8/12/78, of 2609
Adamson Court in Lake Alfred, charged with 5 counts of armed robbery,
5 counts of armed burglary and 1 count of armed kidnapping.
- Kimberly Diamond, DOB 6/29/76, of
6221 Lunn Woods Drive in Lakeland, charged with 5 counts of armed
robbery, 5 counts armed burglary and 1 count armed kidnapping.
- Crystal Roberts, DOB 7/22/75, of
5125 Fairfield Drive in Lakeland, charged with 5 counts of armed
robbery, 5 counts of armed burglary and 1 count of armed kidnapping.
- Michael Konyha, DOB 12/14/80, of
3560 Highway 17 in Winter Haven, charged with 1 count of armed robbery
and 1 count of armed burglary.
Michael Konyha was arrested on Tuesday, January 20 in Polk County,
while the other four suspects were arrested in Miami on Friday, January
23. An anonymous tip led detectives to a motel in Miami on Friday night,
where all 4 four suspects were found and arrested without incident.
The 5 arrests clear up previously unsolved convenience store robberies
in Polk County, including:
- Jan. 4 robbery of the Sunrise Market located at 2581 Sun Acres
Boulevard in Auburndale.
- Jan.5 robbery of the Farm Store located at 1950 Dranefield Road in
- Jan. 10 robbery of the Fleetwing Food Mart located at 525 Common
Wealth Road in Polk City.
- Jan. 11 robbery of the 7-11 located at 7011 Cypress Gardens
Boulevard in Winter Haven.
- Jan. 10 robbery at the First Union Bank, autmatic teller machine,
located at 514 Cypress Gardens Boulevard in Winter Haven.
The 4 suspects arrested in Miami were booked into the Dade County Jail
and are waiting extradition back to Polk County. Additional charges are