Members of the Polk County Sheriff's Office and Juvenile Boot Camp will be attending a dedication ceremony for the Lake of the Hills Community Club House to the National Registry of Historical Places. The dedication ceremony will begin at 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 21 at the club house located at 47 East Starr Avenue in Lake of the Hills (this is in the area of Alt. 27 and Masterpiece Rd in Lake Wales).
The club house is being recognized after recruits from the Polk County Juvenile Boot Camp were cleaning and landscaping the club house grounds discovered an old brick with the year "1929" on it. Further investigation revealed the building was established in the early 1900's as a pavilion, then replaced by the club house. Members from the Historic Landmark Designation Committee sought and received historical recognition late last year.
Guest speakers at the dedication ceremony will include various local and state officials, including Bob Jones, Florida Historical Sites Director; Ken Morrison, Past-President, Bok Tower Gardens; Cliff Tonjes, Past-Mayor, Lake Wales; Bruce Parker, County Commissioner; and Katherine Harris, Florida Secretary of State.
For more information about the dedication or the historical site, please contact Heather McKinley, Chairman of the Historical Landmark Designation Committee, at 1-800-676-5755, or Johanna Bucher, Secretary of the Lake of the Hills Community Club House, at 863-676-4854.
|Distribution: Undersheriff, Division Commanders, Communications, News Media|
A text only version of this release is also available.