December 17, 2003
Lawrence W. Crow, Jr.
Shanley, 863 534-6631 or
Traffic Unit to Target Aggressive Drivers During Increased
The Polk County Sheriff's Office Traffic Unit
will target aggressive drivers during an increased enforcement campaign
this Thursday, Dec. 18, 2003, in the Lakeland area. During the one-day
campaign, traffic deputies will focus on aggressive drivers in an effort
to increase safety during this season of holiday traffic and stress.
Traffic deputies will be on the look-out for aggressive driving
behaviors such as speeding, improper or excessive lane changing, failing
to signal intent, and improper passing.
The Traffic Unit encourages motorists to
take the following driving precautions during the high-traffic holiday
- Plan ahead - allow yourself extra
- Concentrate. Don't allow yourself to become
distracted by talking on your cellular phone,
eating, drinking or putting on makeup.
Drive the Posted Speed Limit. Fewer crashes occur when vehicles are
traveling at or about
the same speed.
- Identify Alternate Routes. Try mapping out an alternate route. Even if
it looks longer on
paper, you may find it is less congested.
If you do encounter an aggressive driver, follow these safety tips:
- Get out of the way - first and foremost make every attempt to get out of
- Put your pride aside - do not challenge them by speeding up or
attempting to hold-your-own
in your travel lane.
Avoid eye contact - eye contact can sometimes enrage an aggressive
- Gestures - ignore gestures and refuse to return them.
Report serious aggressive driving - you or a passenger may call the
police. But, if you
use a cell phone, pull over to a safe location.