On Wednesday, January 8, 2014, in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, Polk County Sheriff’s School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer, conducted “Operation Pop Top” in the Lakeland area.
A total of six (6) convenience stores checked for the sale of alcoholic beverages to a minor. Five of the six stores were found to be in compliance with the Florida beverage laws, and they are:
1. NBT Liquors - 5205 US Hwy 98 South, Lakeland
2. Right Way Foods - 4205 Clubhouse Road, Lakeland
3. Discount Liquors - 5457 US Hwy 98 South, Lakeland
4. 711 6175 US Hwy 98 South, Lakeland
5. Walgreens - 6210 CR 540-A, Lakeland
The clerk at the Circle K located at 2175 CR 540-A in Lakeland, 25-year-old Michael Berger, Jr., of Winter Lakeland, was charged with Sell of Alcoholic Beverage to a Person under 21 Years of Age. Cummings was booked into the Polk County Jail.