On Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Polk County Sheriff’s School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The operation was conducted in the Lake Wales area.
A total of 12 convenience stores were checked for the sale of alcoholic beverages to a minor. All of the stores were found to be in compliance with the Florida beverage laws.
The stores checked were:
- Quik Check Mart, 7201 Waverly Road, Lake Wales
- Kirk's Country Store, 3151 Canal Road, Lake Wales
- Lake Market, 4812 Timberlane Road, Lake Wales
- Citgo, 800 North Scenic Hwy, Lake Wales
- BP, 704 Scenic Road, Lake Wales
- Tip Top Food Mart, 603 North Scenic Hwy, Lake Wales
- Sunoco, 4 Scenic Hwy Lake Wales
- Saveway Food Mart, 328 SR 60 East, Lake Wales
- Racetrac, 1740 SR 60 East, Lake Wales
- Citgo/Lake Wales Food Mart, 3044 SR 60 East, Lake Wales
- Jani Marathon, 2531 SR 60 East, Lake Wales
- Sunoco, 1349 SR East, Lake Wales
"I commend these businesses for being in compliance with the law," said Sheriff Grady Judd. “Operation Pop Top is an effective community awareness tool. We are letting all proprietors in the county know that we will not tolerate the sale of alcohol or cigarettes to minors."