On Thursday, March 7, 2013, Polk County Sheriff’s School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The operation was conducted in the Winter Haven and Eagle Lake areas.
A total of 10 convenience stores were checked for the sale of alcoholic beverages to a minor. All of the stores were found to be in compliance with the Florida beverage laws.
The stores checked were:
- MVP Food Store, 3006 SR 540, Winter Haven
- JK Foods, 3355 Spirit Lake Road, Winter Haven
- Circle K, 4980 Spirit Lake Road, Winter Haven
- Star Mart, 4660 US Hwy 17, Bartow
- Citgo, 150 US Hwy 17, Eagle Lake
- Grab & Go Food Mart, 558 US Hwy 17, Eagle Lake
- Racetrac, 11023 US Hwy 17, Eagle Lake
- 7-Eleven, 101 US Hwy 17, Winter Haven
- Citgo, 1660 Lake Shipp Drive, Winter Haven
- Sunoco, 1502 Recker Hwy, Winter Haven
"Here are 10 more stores in the county who are in compliance with the law - when confronted with a juvenile who was trying to buy alcohol or cigarettes, the clerks refused. They are all to be commended for obeying the law. It doesn't take but a second to ask for identification - and not doing so can cost you jail time, and your job. We hope the other stores in the county will be as smart as these, as we continue to conduct Operation Pop Top." said Sheriff Grady Judd.