In the continue effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, utilizing an underage person, Polk County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Deputies conducted Operation Pop Top on two separate days checking a total of 19 stores throughout Polk County.
"I commend the businesses and conscientious store clerks who were in compliance with the law," said Sheriff Grady Judd. "We conduct operations such as these to send a message to the community that we will not tolerate the illegal sale of tobacco or alcohol to minors."
During the two operations which were conducted on Monday, March 12, 2012, and Tuesday, March 13, 2012, the majority of the stores were found to be in compliance with Florida State Statues.
The following stores were in compliance with Florida statute:
1. BP - 95 Hinson Avenue, Haines City
2. CITGO - 2998 US 17-92, Haines City
3. LA Liquor and Tobacco - 720 South Lakeshore Way, Lake Alfred
4. CITGO - 530 South Lakeshore Way, Lake Alfred
5. Sharmin Supermarket - 285 South Lakeshore Way, Lake Alfred
6. Express Food Mart - 2100 US 92, Winter Haven
7. Bridgers Truck Stop - 549 Bridgers Avenue, Auburndale
8. Circle P - 229 Dairy Road, Auburndale
9. Dollar General – 6735 S. Florida Avenue, Lakeland
10. Walgreens – 6985 S. Florida Avenue, Lakeland
11. First Stop Food and Beverage - 1125 Shepherd Road, Lakeland
12. Beverage Castle South – 1825 Shepherd Road, Lakeland
13. Publix – 2040 Shepherd Road, Lakeland
14. CITGO – 1790 Shepherd Road, Lakeland
15. 7-Eleven – 7040 S. Florida Avenue, Mulberry
16. Winn Dixie – 6902 S. Florida Avenue, Lakeland
17. Hess Mart – 6808 S. Florida Avenue, Lakeland
18. Grapevine Fine Wines and Spirits – 3239 S. Florida Avenue, Lakeland
The Super Discount - 166 Dairy Road, Auburndale was not incompliance with Florida statute. The clerk sold an alcoholic beverage to an underage person.
Arrested was 29-year-old Mdsaiful Islam, DOB 01-01-1983, 166 Dairy Road Auburndale. He was charged with the Sale of Alcoholic Beverage to an Underage Person and was booked into the Polk County Jail on Monday, March 12, 2012.