On Thursday, March 14, 2013, Polk County Sheriff’s School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The operation was conducted in the Winter Haven area.
A total of 10 convenience stores were checked for the sale of alcoholic beverages to a minor. Nine of the stores were found to be in compliance with the Florida beverage laws.
44-year-old Aardi Patel of Winter Haven was arrested and charged with one count Sale of Alcohol to a Minor. Patel works at the Chevron store located at 2049 Havendale Blvd in Winter Haven. She failed to ask the high school student for identification and sold the minor alcohol.
The following stores were in compliance:
- Regal Trading, 1416 First Street, Winter Haven
- Havendale Food Mart, 1690 Havendale Blvd, Winter Haven
- Marathon, 7991 SR 544 East, Winter Haven
- BP, 795 Cypress Gardens Blvd, Winter Haven
- Circle K, 1000 First Street South, Winter Haven
- 7-11, 1099 First Street South, Winter Haven
- 3 Brothers, 223 Avenue T, Winter Haven
- Chevron, 2100 First Street South, Winter Haven
- Citgo, 128 Avenue T, Winter Haven