In observance of 2014 National Police Week (May 11th through May 17th) the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) Polk County Lodge #46 and the Polk County Law Enforcement Memorial Fund (PCLEMF), Inc., will present the 27th Annual Polk County Peace Officers’ Memorial Service on Thursday, May 8th, 2014, 10:00 a.m., at the Polk County Law Enforcement Memorial in Lakeland Veterans Park. The park is located on Lime Street, between Lake Beulah Drive and the west side of the Lakeland Center.
Polk County Sheriff’s Office Master Deputy Sheriff Joseph "Shane" Robbins, who died in the line of duty on April 26, 2013, will be officially commemorated on the Polk County Law Enforcement Memorial. There are 31 other Law Enforcement and Corrections officers, who made the “supreme sacrifice and died in the line of duty” while serving the citizens of Polk County with various State, County and local Law Enforcement and Corrections agencies, who will also be honored during the Memorial Service “Roll Call of Heroes.”
Family members of fallen officers, representatives from various Polk County law enforcement agencies, public service organizations, and state and local government agencies will be attending.
Highlights of the service will include:
- Joint Agency Officer Processional March
- Presentation of Colors by a Joint Color Guard from PCSO, Lakeland Police Department, Winter Haven Police Department, Bartow Police Department, and Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission
- Roll Call of Heroes
- Fly Over by PCSO and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission aviation units
- Retreat of the Fallen Rider by the PCSO Mounted Unit
- Bagpipe players
- 3 Gun Volley
- The Harrison Center for Visual and Performing Arts “Encore Singers” will perform an ensemble of patriotic and spiritual songs
Speakers will include:
- PCSO Deputy Sheriff Mike Braswell, President, FOP Polk County Lodge #46
- Captain Michael L. Lawton, (Retired) PCLEMF, Inc., Chairman of the Board
- Keynote Speaker will be Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd
- PCSO Deputy Sheriff Doug Tanner will lead the invocation and benediction.
Immediately following the memorial service, The 27th Annual Memorial Service Luncheon hosted by the FOP Polk County Lodge #46 and the Polk County Law Enforcement Memorial Fund Inc., will take place at the FOP Polk County Lodge #46, located at 125 West Brannen Rd, Lakeland (east from South Florida Ave. @ Sonny’s).
The public is invited to attend the memorial service and luncheon. For more information, please call Michael L. Lawton, Captain (Retired) PCLEMF, Inc., Chairman, at 863-688-1725.