On Wednesday, March 24, 2010, Polk County Sheriff’s Office, School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer, (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop-Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The operation was conducted in the Mulberry and south Lakeland area.
During the operation, an attempt to purchase alcohol was made at 10 stores with all 10 of the stores in compliance.
The following businesses were checked and found to be in compliance with Florida State Statutes:
- 7-11 located at 4975 S.R. 37 Lakeland
- Gate Store located at 5383 S.R. 37 Lakeland
- Tapatio's located at 6645-8 S.R. 37 Lakeland
- Dollar General located at 6735 S.R. 37 Lakeland
- Hess located at 6808 S.R. 37 Lakeland
- Winn Dixie Liquor Store located at 5906 S.R. 37 Lakeland
- 7-11 located at 7040 S.R. 37 Mulberry
- Liquor World located at 7066 S.R. 37 Mulberry
- Quick Mart located at 1285 S.R. 37 Mulberry
- Shell located at 104 N. Church Street Mulberry
"Operation Pop Top is an effective community awareness tool," said Sheriff Grady Judd. "When proprietors see that we will not tolerate the illegal sale of tobacco or alcohol to minors, it sets a precedent. I commend those businesses that were in compliance."