For the fourth time since his original arrest, Polk County Sheriff's deputies have added on battery charges against 24-year-old Odane Shakes (DOB 8/16/88), who has been an inmate in the South County Jail since October 6, 2012.
According to the affidavits, around 4:30 p.m. yesterday, Monday, April 1, 2013, Inmate Shakes was attempting to leave his isolation cell against deputies' orders. Detention Deputy Justin Hall used his body to block Shakes from leaving the cell, at which time Shakes began hitting Deputy Hall. Other detention deputies came to Hall's aid, at which time Inmate Shakes and Deputy Hall fell to the ground, while Shakes used an ink pen he grabbed off of Deputy Hall and tried to stab Deputy Hall in the facial area with it. Inmate Shakes then stabbed Deputy Hall in the eye with a finger, injuring Deputy Hall's cornea.
Deputies subdued Inmate Shakes and placed him back into his isolation cell. Deputy Hall was taken to an area hospital to be treated for his torn cornea. He is expected to recover.
Shakes has been in an isolation cell in the South County Jail due to his dangerous behavior.
The following is a summary of the charges against Inmate Shakes:
· Original arrest on 10/6/12 by HCPD for Theft and Resisting Arrest.
· Added on charges on 10/6/12 by PCSO for Criminal Mischief and Battery on LEO -- Shakes kicked a detention deputy, flailed and resisted and attempted to bite several other deputies, and damaged the jail transport van while deputies were transporting him from Central County Jail to South County Jail.
· Added on charges on 10/19/12 by PCSO for 2 counts Battery on LEO -- Shakes grabbed a deputy and pulled him into his cell, then kicked another deputy who responded to assist.
· Direct-filed charges added on 10/31/12 by SAO for Resisting Arrest
· Added on charges on 1/19/13 by PCSO for Escape and Criminal Mischief -- Shakes broke a window in his cell in an attempt to escape.
· Added on charges on 2/26/13 by PCSO for Battery on LEO and Depriving LEO of Means of Protection -- Shakes attempted to grab a Taser off of a deputy's tool belt in the booking area in Bartow while being transported from a court appearance back to South County Jail.
· Added on charges on 4/1/13 by PCSO for Aggravated Battery on LEO as described above.
"Here is the most recent example of what a dangerous job our detention deputies do in our jails every day. Our deputies interact with thousands of inmates each day in Book-in, at Central County Jail, and at South County Jail, and they put their lives on the line to ensure the inmates are safely housed. We are sending a message to all dangerous inmates -- if you try to pick a fight with a Polk County Sheriff's deputy, you will be charged, period. Obviously, Shakes is going to be an inmate for quite some time, with behavior like that." - Sheriff Grady Judd