On Monday, April 21, 2014, in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, Polk County Sheriff’s School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer, conducted “Operation Pop Top” in the Winter Haven and Auburndale areas.
A total of 10 convenience stores were checked for the sale of alcoholic beverages to a minor. 9 of the 10 stores were found to be in compliance with the Florida beverage laws, and they are:
1. Cash Mart - 1290 34th St NW, Winter Haven
2. Superway-12 - 2415 Ave G NW, Winter Haven
3. Amir's Food Mart - 1915 34th St NW, Winter Haven
4. Kegs To Go - 2126 34th St NW, Winter Haven
5. Auburndale Sunoco - 421 Havendale Blvd, Auburndale
6. Walgreens - 501 Havendale Blvd, Auburndale
7. Winn-Dixie - 455 Havendale Blvd, Auburndale
8. Preston Foods - 229 Dairy Rd, Auburndale
9. Little Shop Right - 209 E. Lake Ave, Auburndale
The clerk at the Quik Food Mart located at 3317 Avenue G NW in Winter Haven, 34-year-old Digneshkumar Patel of Winter Haven, was charged with Sale of Alcoholic Beverage to a Person under 21 Years of Age. He was booked into the Polk County Jail.