Polk County Sheriff’s detectives have arrested and charged two Orlando men for Human Trafficking and other charges, with assistance from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, the Tampa Police Department, and the Attorney General Pam Bondi’s Office of Statewide Prosecution.
"Florida is a zero-tolerance state for human trafficking, and I commend the Sheriff's Offices of Polk and Orange counties, the Tampa Police Department and my Office of Statewide Prosecution for their work to arrest two man engaged in the sex trafficking of a minor in our state. We must stop these atrocities from occurring in Florida and throughout our country." - Attorney General Pam Bondi
The investigation began on May 8, 2013, when PCSO conducted an extensive undercover prostitution investigation that resulted in 92 arrests for solicitation of prostitution or deriving proceeds from prostitution (click here to read the news release: http://bit.ly/17XQtfU). During that investigation, a 15-year-old girl was arrested for prostitution, along with 48-year-old Michael Kempfer of 716 Ibsen Avenue in Orlando – Kempfer drove the girl to the undercover location, but claimed he was not involved in “pimping her out” or in human trafficking. He was arrested for one count Driving While License Suspended, and one count Deriving Proceeds from Prostitution. He was sentenced to 40 days in the Polk County Jail.
Polk County detectives established a rapport with the 15-year-old girl and she was subsequently identified as a victim of lewd battery and human trafficking. Working with gang detectives from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, her “pimp” was positively identified as 22-year-old Montavius Rakeem Postell AKA “King,” of the same address as Kempfer – 716 Ibsen Avenue in Orlando. According to the affidavit, Postell was arrested by OCSO for Sale of Cocaine in March 2013, and during his 12 hours of incarceration, he made 25 telephone calls – most of them to the victim, discussing her ability to raise his bond money by prostituting herself. He used threat of physical violence, actual physical violence, and drugs to control the victim and coerce her to prostitute herself and turn the money over to him.
PCSO detectives worked with the AG Office of Statewide Prosecution to obtain a warrant for Postell’s arrest, charging him with one count Human Trafficking (F-1), two counts Lewd and Lascivious Battery on a Victim Aged 12-16 (F-2), and Promoting Sexual Activity of a Victim Under 16 (F-2). They also obtained a warrant to file charges of Human Trafficking against Kempfer, who is still in the Polk County Jail on the aforementioned DWLSR charge.
On Tuesday, July 9, 2013, PCSO and OCSO detectives served a search warrant at Postell and Kempfer’s house in Orlando – Postell was not there. Detectives found crack cocaine, two loaded handguns in plain sight, several photos of the 15-year-old victim with Postell, and gang paraphernalia (Postell is a documented gang member). Postell was located around 8:30 p.m. in a hotel room on East Fowler in Tampa, and taken into custody by the Tampa Police Department. He was booked into the Hillsborough County Jail on the aforementioned charges.
“Here is but one example of how prostitution is not a ‘victimless crime,’ and even worse, this is an example of a how a juvenile was being used as a sex slave. This young girl was given drugs, physically beaten and sexually abused, and—because she was too young to even drive -- she was driven around and prostituted out by these two despicable men. We will continue to cooperate with agencies statewide to combat human trafficking in Florida.” - Sheriff Grady Judd
Montavius Postell has been arrested 51 times in Florida. His arrest history includes, but is not limited to:
· 24 Felonies, 34 Misdemeanors
· 8/14/2003 – Arrested by Orange County Sheriff’s Office – Lewd/Lascivious on Minor 12 to 16 Years of Age
· 12/20/2007 – Arrested by Orlando PD – Possession of Marijuana, Obstruction of Justice
· 4/29/2008 – Arrested by Orange County SO – Possession of Marijuana
· 7/7/2008 – Arrested by Orlando PD – Possession of Marijuana
· 2/9/2009 – Arrested by Orange Count SO – Possession of Marijuana
· 3/6/2009 – Arrested by Orange County SO – Robbery, Armed Carjacking, Aggravated Battery, Loitering
· 6/24/2009 – Arrested by Orange County SO – Failure to Appear, Resisting Arrest
· 7/29/2009 – Arrested by Orange County SO – Armed Robbery, Kidnapping, Giving False Info to LEO
· 8/27/2009 – Arrested by Orange County SO – Larceny
· 11/16/2010 – Arrested by Orange County SO – Trespassing, Possession of Marijuana
· 4/16/2011 – Arrested by Polk County SO – Deriving Proceeds from Prostitution, Possession of Marijuana, Possession of Paraphernalia
· 8/29/2011 –Arrested by Orange County SO – Deriving Proceeds from Prostitution, Lewd/Lascivious on Victim 12 to 16 Years of Age, Kidnapping
· 2/27/2012 – Arrested by Orange County SO – DWLSR
· 8/10/2012 – Arrested by FHP – DWLSR
· 10/6/2012 – Arrested by Orange County SO – DWLSR
· 11/20/2012 – Arrested by Osceola County SO – Possession of Cocaine
· 3/22/2013 - Arrested by Orange County SO – Sale of Cocaine