Four people from T&M Salvage, located at 2605 SR 37 South in Mulberry, have been charged with multiple counts as part of an ongoing citrus trailer theft investigation conducted by PCSO Agricultural Crimes detectives.
The investigation began earlier this year when three suspects -- Ruben Ramirez, Richard Ramirez, and Donald Mosley - were arrested for over 70 charges including Grand Theft, Dealing in Stolen Property, and Giving False Verification to a Pawn Dealer.
During the preliminary investigation, the Ramirez brothers and Mosley told detectives that they took several of the stolen trailers to T&M Salvage, a licensed Secondary Metals Recycler, and sold them as scrap metal. The suspects told detectives that they (the suspects) did not provide titles of ownership of the materials to the business, per Florida State Statute.
Detectives responded to the business and requested records of these transactions. Upon reviewing 40 separate transactions where the business received the trailers as scrap metal and paid the three suspects for them, detectives noted that the paperwork was written to reflect that the trailers were "unprepared steel." This is in violation of Florida State Statute 320.01(1)(a) which states that a citrus hauling trailer is a motor vehicle, and a secondary metals recycler who purchases it shall require the seller to provide a certificate of title or other types of certificates.
Detectives interviewed the business owner, 54-year-old Adelina McCulley; the business manager, 56-year-old Clarence McCulley; the materials buyer, 64-year-old Bernhard Powell; and the scale operator, 61-year-old John Richmond. All four told detectives they bought the trailers brought in by the Ramirez brothers and Mosley as scrap metal, not as trailers, and admitted that they did not obtain the required paperwork and titles.
On Monday, July 22, 2013, these four suspects were arrested and charged with:
40 counts Unlawful Purchase of Motor Vehicle;
40 counts Grand Theft of Motor Vehicle;
40 counts Organized Dealing in Stolen Property.
Clarence McCulley was also charged with one count Sell/Transfer of Motor Vehicle Without a Title. The investigation is ongoing.
Suspects' arrest histories include:
Clarence McCulley (DOB 8/5/1956):
- Arrested on 10/28/2005 by PCSO for Battery;
- Arrested out-of-state on three prior occasions for Stolen Property, Armed Robbery, and Fraud
Adelina McCulley (DOB 8/19/1958):
Bernhard Powell (DOB 3/29/1949):
- Arrested on 5/25/2009 by HCSO for DUI;
- Arrested on 12/17/2007 by HCSO for Contempt of Court;
- Arrested on 2/14/1998 by Martin County S.O. for Reckless Driving, Resisting Arrest;
- Arrested on 11/24/1996 by St. Lucie County S.O. for DWI;
- Arrested on 1/7/1993 by Martin County S.O. for Disorderly Intoxication;
- Arrested on 3/4/1981 by St. Lucie County S.O for Aggravated Assault;
- Arrested out-of-state on six prior occasions for charges such as: Possession of Drug Paraphernalia; Assault with a Deadly Weapon; Carrying Concealed Weapon; Possession of Weapon.
John Richmond (DOB 10/31/1951):
- Arrested on 3/18/1992 by South Daytona P.D. for Lewd Act.