"In an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, along with the help of Polk County Sheriff’s Office Explorers, Polk County Sheriff’s Office School Resource deputies checked 15 businesses on Tuesday, July 30, 2013,” said Sheriff Grady Judd. “I commend the businesses and conscientious store clerks for complying with the law. For those who do not comply, make no mistake, we will arrest you for selling alcohol and tobacco to a minor.”
Explorers are high school student volunteers who routinely work with PCSO School Resource deputies to conduct “Operation Pop-Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors.
The businesses checked were located in the Auburndale, Winter Haven and Polk City areas. Those in compliance with the Florida beverage law were:
1. Sunrise Supermarket, 3035 Thornhill Road, Winter Haven
2. CITGO 2101 K-Ville Avenue, Auburndale
3. Sunoco 2727 K-Ville Avenue, Auburndale
4. Marathon 2003 U.S. Hwy 92, Auburndale
5. A-1 Discount Beverage 1042 N. Berkeley Road, Auburndale
6. Harvest Meat Market, 1095 N. Berkeley Road, Auburndale
7. Raj Food Mart 1000 Loop Road, Auburndale
8. Auburndale Food Mart 1115 N. Berkeley Road, Auburndale
9. CITGO 315 Ramsgate Road, Auburndale
10. Shell 1795 N. Berkeley Road, Auburndale
11. Circle K 205 N. Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
12. Sunoco 644 N. Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
13. Chevron 525 N. Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
14. Primetime Food Mart 501 N. Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
One store, BP, 1114 N. Berkeley Road Auburndale was not in compliance.
The clerk, Nazir Hossain, DOB 03-11-1965, 1138 Berkeley Road, Auburndale, was charged with Sale of an Alcoholic Beverage to a person under 21 years of age. He was booked into the Polk County Jail.
“Operation Pop Top is an effective community awareness tool,” said Sheriff Judd. “When proprietors see that we will not tolerate the illegal sale of tobacco or alcohol to minors, it sets a precedent.”