On Wednesday, October 12, 2011, Polk County Sheriff’s School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The operation was conducted in the Winter Haven and Eagle Lake areas of Polk County.
Seven stores were checked, with six in compliance with Florida State Statutes. The clerks at the following stores refused to sell alcohol to the minor:
- Food Mart, located at 329 26th St. in Winter Haven
- Superway Food Mart, located at 2590 Recker Hwy in Winter Haven
- Dollar General, located at 2832 Recker Hwy in Winter Haven
- Publix Pix, located at 1108 Spirit Lake Rd. in Winter Haven
- Chevron, located at 558 US 17 North in Eagle Lake
- Dollar General, located at 160 North 4th St. in Eagle Lake
At Del's Go Shop, located at 90 Coleman Road in Winter Haven, the clerk sold alcohol to the minor. Roshni Thakkar, DOB 2/8/1969, of 126 Kings Pond Avenue, was arrested and charged with one count Sale of Alcoholic Beverage to a Minor.