In an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, on Monday, October 14, 2014, Polk County Sheriff’s Office School Resource deputies, along with the help of Polk County Sheriff’s Office Explorers, checked 8 area business in the south Winter Haven and Auburndale areas of the county.
The following stores were in compliance with the Florida Statute:
· Super Way #12, 2415 Avenue G NW, Winter Haven
· Food Mart / Sunoco, 3317 Avenue G NW, Winter Haven
· Amir’s Food Mart, 1915 34th Street NW, Winter Haven
· Auburndale Sunoco, 412 Havendale Boulevard, Auburndale
· Winn-Dixie #612, 455 Havendale Boulevard, Auburndale
· Walgreen’s Liquor #04023, 501 Havendale Boulevard., Auburndale
· Dollar General #01322, 358 Havendale Boulevard, Auburndale
One store was NOT found in compliance:
· S & N Shop Smart, 1458 NW 42nd Street, Winter Haven
Sanjay K. Gandhi, DOB 02/08/1968, 2600 Summit View Dr., Lakeland, sold alcohol to the PCSO Explorer, and as a result was arrested and charged with Sale of Alcoholic Beverage to a Person under 21.
Gandhi was booked into the Polk County jail – he has since bonded out.
“Our deputies and Explorers conduct Operation Pop Top on a routine basis. I commend the businesses and conscientious store clerks of those locations for complying with the law,” said Sheriff Grady Judd. “We will continue to visit businesses across Polk County and for those who do not comply, make no mistake, we will arrest you for selling alcohol and tobacco to a minor.”