In an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, on Tuesday, November 25, 2014, PCSO School Resource deputies, along with the help of Polk County Explorers, checked 12 stores in the Bartow, Homeland, and Fort Meade areas. Eleven were in compliance, and one store clerk was arrested.
The following stores were in compliance with the law:
- BP, 1140 East Van Fleet Drive in Bartow
- Presco Food Store, 825 South Charleston Avenue in Fort Meade
- Dollar General, 109 South Charleston Avenue in Fort Meade
- Sunoco, 3 East Broadway in Fort Meade
- Circle K, 116 North Charleston Avenue in Fort Meade
- Mac's Discount Food, 822 North Charleston Avenue in Fort Meade
- Quikway Food Store, 724 East Broadway in Fort Meade
- Homeland Food Store, 6005 US Hwy 17 South in Homeland
- Plaza Food Store, 1995 US Hwy 17 South in Bartow
- JJ Food Store, 1405 US Hwy 17 South in Bartow
- 7-Eleven, 1410 US Hwy 17 South in Bartow
49-year-old Catherine McClees of 2055 South Floral Avenue in Bartow was arrested for selling alcohol to a minor. She works at Circle K located at 1020 North Broadway Avenue in Bartow.