On Tuesday, November 26, 2013, in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, Polk County Sheriff’s School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop Top” in the Eagle Lake, Wahneta, and Winter Haven areas.
A total of nine (9) convenience stores checked for the sale of alcoholic beverages to a minor. All nine stores were found to be in compliance with the Florida beverage laws.
The stores checked were:
1. Chevron - 558 U.S. Hwy. 17 N., Eagle Lake
2. Race Trac - 11023 U.S. Hwy 17, Winter Haven
3. Sunoco - 2477 Rifle Range Rd., Wahneta
4. Mo's Market - 3071 Rifle Range Rd., Wahneta
5. Citgo Quik Mart - 3074 Rifle Eange Rd., Wahneta
6. Citgo Quik Mart - 3544Rifle Range Rd., Wahneta
7. Citgo Star Mart - 4660 U.S. Hwy 17 N., Bartow
8. Citgo - 150 U.S. Hwy 17, Eagle Lake
9. Eagle Lake Super Market - 15 SW Central Ave., Eagle Lake
"I commend these businesses for complying with Florida laws prohibiting the sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors," said Sheriff Grady Judd. “'Operation Pop Top' is an effective community awareness tool. When proprietors see that we will not tolerate the illegal sale of tobacco or alcohol to minors, it sends a lasting message.”