On Thursday, December 27, 2012, Polk County Sheriff’s Office, School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer, (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop-Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The operation was conducted in the Lake Alfred, Davenport, Auburndale, and Polk City areas of Polk County.
A total of 18 convenience stores were checked for the sale of alcoholic beverages to a minor. Of those checked, 17 stores were found to be in compliance with the Florida beverage laws. One store was not in compliance.
Those in compliance were:
- L.A. Liquor & Tobacco – 720 S. Lakeshore Way, Lake Alfred
- Citgo – 530 S Lakeshore Way, Lake Alfred
- Quick Trip – 1005 US Highway 17/92, Lake Alfred
- One Stop Food Mart – 2998 US Highway 17/92, Haines City
- BP – 95 US HIGHWAY 17/92, Haines City
- Kangaroo – 1013 Hinson Avenue, Haines City
- EL Zocalo Supermarket – 452 US Highway 17/92, Haines City
- Kangaroo – 123 Bat Street, Davenport
- Mystik – 304 US Highway 17/92, Davenport
- Citgo – 404 US Highway 17/92, Davenport
- A1 Discount Beverage – 1042 Berkley Road, Auburndale
- BP – 1114 Berkley Road, Auburndale
- Shell – 1795 Berkley Road, Auburndale
- Shell – 205 N Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
- Texaco – 501 S Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
- Chevron – 525 S Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
- Sunoco – 644 S Commonwealth Avenue, Polk City
"I commend the businesses which were in compliance," said Sheriff Grady Judd. “Operation Pop Top is an effective community awareness tool. "When proprietors see that we will not tolerate the illegal sale of tobacco or alcohol to minors, it sets a precedent.”
The following store was found NOT to be in compliance: EZ Food – 5945 US Highway 17/92 N, Davenport. Arrested was, store clerk, Kim Renee Keithley, DOB 01-11-62, 2800 US 17/92 W Lot 80, Haines City.
Keithley's booking photo.