On Thursday, February 18, 2010, Polk County Sheriff’s Office, School Resource deputies, along with the assistance of a PCSO Explorer, (Explorers are high school student volunteers), conducted “Operation Pop-Top” in an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors. The operation was conducted in the Mulberry and south Lakeland area.
During the operation, an attempt to purchase alcohol was made at 8 stores, with 6 of those stores in compliance.
The following businesses were checked and found to be in compliance with Florida State Statutes:
- Chevron Store Highway 60 West Bartow
- CITGO Store 607 East Canal Street Mulberry
- Economizer Supermarket 310 East Canal Street Mulberry
- Shell 102 North Church Avenue Mulberry
- Chevron Store 506 West Canal Street Mulberry
- Mulberry Discount Beverage 806 North Church Avenue Mulberry
The following stores were not in compliance:
- Mulberry CITGO 1285 North Church Avenue Mulberry
- 7-Eleven Store 7040 SR 37 North Mulberry
CITGO clerk, 52-year-old Natubhai Heralal, DOB 01/06/1958, 606 North Church Avenue, Mulberry, was charged with Sale of Alcoholic Beverage to an underage person. He was issued a Notice to Appear.
7-Eleven clerk, 42-year-old Melinda Ann Plumer, DOB 11/16/1967, 7020 Davin Street, Lakeland, was charged with Sale of Alcoholic Beverage to an underage person. She too was issued a Notice to Appear.