In an effort to combat the illegal sale of alcohol and tobacco to minors, on Monday, November 24, 2014, PCSO School Resource deputies, along with the help of Polk County Explorers, checked 11 stores in the Winter Haven and Lake Wales areas. Nine were in compliance, and two store clerks were arrested.
The following stores were in compliance with the law:
- Sunoco, 195 North Rifle Range Rd, Winter Haven
- Dollar General, 5001 Lake Ruby Drive West, Winter Haven
- 7-Eleven, 7011 Cypress Gardens Blvd, Winter Haven
- Murphy USA, 7454 Cypress Gardens Blvd, Winter Haven
- Walgreens, 24170 US Hwy 27, Lake Wales
- Gate, 2950 Ridge Way, Lake Wales
- ABC Liquors, 23231 US Hwy 27, Lake Wales
- Lily Petroleum Corp, 20500 US Hwy 27, Lake Wales
- Citgo, 19509 US Hwy 27, Lake Wales
21-year-old Amanda Betancourt of 2436 Ruth Avenue in Lake Wales, who works at Racetrac located at 24224 US Hwy 27 in Lake Wales, was arrested for Sale of Alcohol to a Minor.
39-year-old Hetalben Patel of 4530 Mahogany Run SE in Winter Haven, who works at Crown Liquors located at 28059 US Hwy 27 in Dundee, was arrested for Sale of Alcohol to a Minor.